Pokemon Yellow Remake

Hi everyone and welcome back to my little corner of the internet. I have something today, the release of Pokemon Yellow 3DS, that I'm not really sure I'm happy with. Let me see if I can explain...

As many of you know, I was there during the initial release of the original Pokemon games. I was eight, almost nine years old, and the proud owner of Pokemon Red. Since the anime started in '98, I'm only a year older than Ash... When Pokemon Yellow was released shortly after, I snatched it up, too. I loved that I could get all three starter Pokemon, the graphic upgrades were amazing, there was slightly more color! I don't know how many hundreds of hours I spent playing the original trilogy, loving every minute.

Now, let's look at what's being released for the 3DS next month:



It's exactly the same...

Here we are, 20 years later, and they're basically releasing a ROM of the cartridge game. The only changes being made to it affect trading and battling with friends since there is no trading cable anymore. Everything will be done via WiFi. I'm not saying that we need a Pokemon Lighting Yellow to go along with Leaf Green and Fire Red, but surely they could have given it color, fixed some of the annoying sound issues (Pikachu's voice) or made even just a little improvement. 

The same goes with Red and Blue. Sure, there's a strong nostalgia factor for those of us that started with the original games, I get that, but I have all three of these on my cell phone. Why would I pay for these games, again, when they're not giving us anything new?

I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way. 

Nintendo has long been known as a greedy company. From taking revenue from YouTubers that play their games to now releasing carbon copies of 20 year old games... I dunno. 

The only reason that I can think of for releasing the games as-is is to have more legal ground to go against ROM creators and distributors. Some would argue that, since the game isn't publicly available right now, then Nintendo doesn't actually lose anything when people play the ROM versions of these games - as compared to buying a cartridge for a system that isn't produced anymore. Now those games are back on the market and Nintendo stands to lose money from the ROM community. If there are actual damages or losses, they have more ground to sue.

A big part of me wonders if that's why these games are being released again. 

Of course, I could be totally wrong. This could be a purely nostalgic money grab from an ancient IP that started a massive franchise. I guess we'll need to keep our eyes on Nintendo and see what happens next.

Comments

Popular Posts