Overwatch - Closed Beta Weekend Review

Overwatch is Blizzard's new first person shooter that is currently still in closed beta. I had the opportunity to play it during the last beta weekend and thought that I would share some of my thoughts on the game, as someone that doesn't generally like (or is good at) FPS games.

For the tl;dr group, it was pretty good.

The gameplay was fun and fast. You could always figure out where the fighting was taking place. I thought that the characters were simple enough to be easy to pick up, but had enough behind them to make them difficult to master. I personally enjoyed playing Henzo the most. I LOVED the verticality of the game. I mean, I could scale buildings and snipe stuff, or use some of the mobility skills to get out of trouble. Again, Henzo was probably my favorite, though Pharah and Widowmaker were both pretty good, too.

Now, as someone that isn't particularly good at FPS games, I think that it was easy enough to pick up and start playing. There is a short tutorial that covers the basics and that same character is available duing the game - that way there's always at least one character that you know how to play. Pharah seemed pretty n00b friendly, since rockets and missiles are the calling card of new players (just see my gameplay video below!). Sure, I died a lot, but I came back quickly enough, and managed to get enough kills, that I didn't mind. It was just part of the game and we only needed to push the objectives.

There has to be an easier way to deal with turrets.

Most everyone played as a sniper, Tracer, or the big guy with the shield and hammer.

You can play a healer/support role if you prefer not being shot at... as often.

As far as cons are concerned, there are only a couple of things that I would personally like to see. First off, and this is totally a triston-only/solely personally opinion, not being an avid first person shooter player, I don't think I would spend $60 on the game (though I did find it on G2A, check the links below). It's not to say that it's a bad game, by anymeans, it just isn't my cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, whatever. I like ARPGs and MOBAs. I'll play Fallout or Borderlands, but it's mostly for the RPG elements and because of the single player content. So, again, this game just doesn't fall into my preferred genres.

The only other thing, and again, this is my own preference, is that I would like to have some way to unlock the different characters instead of getting access to them all at once. I like a sense of progression or of having some sort of goal. I play HotS because there's always a new character that I want to unlock. I play D3 because there's some set piece I'm missing in order to complete higher level greater rifts. Here, aside from the fun gameplay, I didn't see anything that was really compelling me to keep playing after a few rounds. Sure, the game is still in closed beta and we only had one game mode, so this can, and probably will, change in the future. And again, the game was fun.

So, if you're into FPS games and like Blizzard's stuff, I would bet that you will like this game. I might pick it up anyways, simply because I enjoyed climbing up walls and not being the worst player in a game ^_^

Here's some Pharah gameplay that I recorded. I have a couple more videos that I'll upload to the YouTube channel this week. Enjoy!!


Overwatch Pre-order Coupon

Comments

Popular Posts